New International Version (NIV)
35 In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ ”
It was really a fun day of working! We went to Sopra, Oklahoma and spent the day working at the Head Start Pre-School facility.
Our To Do List For Today:
- Pick up and bag the 1,000,000 sticks and branches on the ground
- Rake and bag the wet (rotting) leaves
- Re-set the swing set pads that were buried in the rocks
- Clean the sand pit and add sand
- Eat snacks mid morning
- Sand and scrape the front of the building and the eaves and the porch
- Paint everything that we sanded
- Scrub and clean the playground basketball game
- Remove broken playground equipment
- Eat BBQ sandwiches or lunch (a.maz.ing.)
- Remove Rocks off the padded playground slide area
- Remove years of tape residue from the front door (from signs being taped to the front door)
We had dinner at my favorite Mexican Food Restaurant Los Compadres! Yuuuummmy!
I had the opportunity as we left the restaurant to pray for Gracie Johnson’s grandson.
- What made this a great night is almost everyone mentioned how much fun they had working together.
- We ENJOYED each other’s company.
- We didn’t get tired of menial tasks but sang while we were doing them.
- When we finished one task we asked for more.
- I loved learning how to do new things. It was fun working with my friends. It was cool how we would sometimes be working with people we don’t normally hang out with… but we were still having fun
- I felt like we were all just happy all day
- I didn’t hear anyone complain
- Donnie (job foreman) was so happy with our work, was taking pictures to send back to the main office
- He said he wished more young people would do things like this
- He is the only one that handles these kinds of things for the Head Start buildings in this area and he can’t get it all done
- We were a huge blessing to him
- It was cool to see the transformation of the building and the whole area after we were done
It really was a wonderful day! The students were AMAZING! All the leaders agreed. When the students cooperate and get along and work hard… it makes for a blessed day!
Jessica Smith (former SCA students and UT senior) came with us as one of our adult leaders shared the scripture Acts 20:35. It was in her morning devotional… what a great scripture to start and end our day with.
“In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.” (NIV)
Isn’t that the truth! May we all have hearts to be blessing ‘givers’ instead of worrying about what am I going to receive today.
Be blessed… and with that blessing… go and bless others!
We head to Boswell tomorrow and work at another Head Start. 5 on the team will stay at Soper and finish the trim painting and then join the others mid morning. Pray for continued good weather and joy in serving others!